[LON-CAPA-admin] Domain.tab

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Tue Jan 11 13:32:35 EST 2005

On Jan 11, 2005, at 1:05 PM, H. K. Ng wrote:

> At 12:54 PM 1/11/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Benign question - what's the extra stuff at the end of the line in
>> the domain.tab file?
>>
>> > annarbor:Guy at Home:krb4:MSU.EDU:en-US:Ann Arbor, MI:-83.745:42.283
>
> I think it is the latitude and longitude of Ann Arbor.  -hk

Since we anticipate world dominion in the near future, we already
entered city names and geo coordinates. These are used to produce
useful things like http://www.lon-capa.org/clustermap.html to document
our steady progress towards that goal. Also, if you forget where you
have your servers, this helps you locate them again. Or we could play
geo caching. Or ... other useful things.

The rest is more directly useful:

krb4 - default authentication method
MSU.EDU - parameter to default authentication method, in this case the
realm
en-US - default language setting for this domain; for example, "x_chef"
would set this to Swedish Chef

Obviously, writing this email is more fun than preparing my lecture on
electrostatics for tomorrow.

- Gerd.