[LON-CAPA-admin] Upgrade issues (FC3)

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Thu Jan 6 19:06:11 EST 2005

Hi Lars,

> 1) When the system boots up, I don't get an email notification as
>    I used to. When I issue the command
>
>    nmap -p 25 schubert.tmcc.edu
>
>    from another host, I get:
>
>    PORT   STATE    SERVICE
>    25/tcp filtered smtp
>
>    Does this mean that port 25 is not accessible?

Yes, but this should only affect incoming mail to schubert, not
schubert sending mail.

The reason you no longer get an email on bootup is we no longer
generate it.

/etc/init.d/loncontrol start

no longer attempts to probe all other hosts and check out the status
of the system.

You can run loncron by hadn or wait until it runs at night to get the
email sent.

> 2) When I started up the system it was set to some date in 2001. I
>    changed the system clock to the correct date and time with ntpdate.
>    Then I used hwclock to synchronize the hardware clock. Next, to see
>    if ntpd works properly, I manually set the systemclock back by a half a
>    minute, and started ntpd. The strange thing I see is that after a
>    little while, the hardware clock has adjusted to the systemclock
>    so that both system- and hardware clocks are now off by a half a minute.
>    I guess that ntpd is not working...

Odd.

Martin Siegert had alot of info about ntp and checking out what it is
doing in the this thread:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/Week-of-Mon-20030324/000230.html

> What is the minimum set of system services I can run for lon-capa to function?

Webserver, cron, lonc/d I believe.

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-