[LON-CAPA-admin] Upgrade issues (FC3)

Lars Jensen jensen at physics.unr.edu
Thu Jan 6 15:02:16 EST 2005

Hi,

Our upgrade to lon-capa/FC3 went rather smooth. The instructions from
Matt worked well. We still have the following issues:

1) When the system boots up, I don't get an email notification as
   I used to. When I issue the command

   nmap -p 25 schubert.tmcc.edu

   from another host, I get:

   PORT   STATE    SERVICE
   25/tcp filtered smtp

   Does this mean that port 25 is not accessible?

2) When I started up the system it was set to some date in 2001. I
   changed the system clock to the correct date and time with ntpdate.
   Then I used hwclock to synchronize the hardware clock. Next, to see
   if ntpd works properly, I manually set the systemclock back by a half a
   minute, and started ntpd. The strange thing I see is that after a
   little while, the hardware clock has adjusted to the systemclock
   so that both system- and hardware clocks are now off by a half a minute.
   I guess that ntpd is not working...

What is the best way of fixing these two problems?

What is the minimum set of system services I can run for lon-capa to function?

Thanks,
Lars.

--
Lars Jensen, TMCC/Vista B200, 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512-3999.
Internet: <jensen at physics.unr.edu>, www.tmcc.nevada.edu/~jensen/