[LON-CAPA-admin] msg on httpd restart

Matthew Hall llahwehttam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:26:10 EST 2005

Hi Adam,

> When I reboot the webserver (httpd) I get a long list of messages reading:
>
> "Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
> /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/loncommon.pm line 163, <$fh> line 1."
>
> Is this something I should be worried about?

It appears to be the result of a mis-formatted file or filename in
/home/httpd/lonTabs/lonDomColors.  This is not a signifigant problem
and won't prevent your server from functioning properly, but you
should be able to fix it.

The files in lonDomColors should be named something like
"colorado.tab", or domain.tab.

The files should contain lines like

student.sidebg=#FFFFFF
coordinator.sidebg=#FFFFFF
author.sidebg=#FFFFFF

The error you mention indicates either a bad filename (one which
begins with or does not contain a '.') or a line in a file which is
mis-formatted.  Since you mention having a lot of error messages I'm
leaning towards the former.  Take a look in the directory for strange
things.  Be sure to do a 'ls -a' to see all the files.  Let us know
what you find.

> The server is running Fedora Core 3, Lon-Capa 1.3.2-20050203, and is up to date.

Oh, and thank you for keeping your system up to date!

Matthew