[LON-CAPA-admin] Students having problems accessing

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Mon Aug 29 14:18:46 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

> Tom Stork is giving an online quiz at the local high school. Students can
> log in fine, but can't view questions. It is complaining that they cannot
> access from that location.

This should only occur if the problems have the parameter

Client IP/Name Access Control (acc)

set to something.

If this parameter isn't set can you give me access as a student to
this course?

> The lonnet.log file has a bevy of these errors interspersed:
>
> WARNING: Critical message to unknown server ()

Ignore this message.

> Questions:
> (1) We're running 2.0.0 - is this a known issue? (I presume not)

Nope.

> (2) Any idea what the message means?

Yep, it means that &Apaceh::lonhomework::check_ip_acc() decided that
the IP of the client machine is not allowed to view the materials.

> (3) Are there any checks on IP address that could be screwed up by a
> strange reverse lookup? Their sysadmin re-did all the PC labs and there
> may be some funky stuff there.

If they are using the acc parameter with hostnames, then we take the
incoming IP address and do a reverse lookup on it to get the hostname.

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-2-1-27,137