[LON-CAPA-admin] Batch Course Creation

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Aug 22 08:29:29 EDT 2005

Mark and Guy,

Guy Albertelli II wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>

>>I found the routines and think I can swing setting up a batched course
>>creation. I was wondering if one can have multiple owners of a course?
>>

>Hrrm, looks like no, the internal data structures expect a single
>owner it looks like, (both in the creation code, and the internal code
>tha tnotes who is owner.)

In the current release only a single owner is allowed.  This corresponds
to the single Course Coordinator you would have included when using CCRS
to create a course.  You can however include multiple users (and assign
multiple roles to them - including  CC) in the XML file used for batch
course creation, so you can specify more than one Course Coordinator per
course.  Note: you can use MCRS to change the course owner, if needed,
once a course has been created.

>>We typically set up here with multiple owners at the Course Coordinator
>>level.
>>

>You can have multipe course coordinators, that is a role, the 'owner'
>attribute is soley used currently to by 'pickcourse' to find
>courses. It is just a bit of data stored as a course annotation.

The "owner" has another use currently, which in fact predates its use as
a possible filter when picking courses. In cases where access to
institutional classlist data is tightly controlled by SIS administrators
(as is the case at MSU), the identity of the owner can be supplied as
part of the request for classlist data for a specific course/section.
The new_course() subroutine in localenroll.pm is available for cases
where verification of access to classlists is needed.  The course owner
is one of the three arguments that are supplied to &new_course().

At MSU the "owner" is identified as the instructor who originally
submitted a request for a LON-CAPA course via an online course request
form.  Verification of instructor status for the owner is required so
that course creation can proceed automatically without the need for
intervention by a DC once an online request has been submitted.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA development/support