[LON-CAPA-admin] A Subtle Problem

lucasm at ohiou.edu lucasm at ohiou.edu
Wed Sep 8 23:35:16 EDT 2004

Hi,

	Mark is now a happier camper, sort of. Here's the scoop:

The WYSIWIG HTML editor under LON-CAPA places some extra code in the
problems. I edited my 'standard' home page and found some strange
characters in there (that showed up as A's with circles on top) and a line
at the beginning which says the following:

<base href="http://capa2.phy.ohiou.edu/~p200/201/Fall2004/" /><style>
html,body { border: 0px; } </style>

This was not there before I tweaked the html in the editor.

I then published this page and used it in my course.

When a student accessed this page using Msoft IE under XP and using the
inline menu, none of the relative references (of which the page is filled)
would work. This included all of the relative references at the top of the
page for the inline remote. The student was basically 'frozen' and there
were reports of browsers actually crashing.

I removed that line (after about 5 hours of big time stress) and all is
well.

Everything seemed to work okay in Netscape.

Bottom line - be a little careful of the WYSIWIG editor right now. I don't
know under what circumstances it will add the above code.

Later,
Mark

Mark Lucas					email: lucasm at ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701