[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: no SPRS, CHRT, or STAT?

Matthew Brian Hall hallmat3 at msu.edu
Tue Oct 26 16:51:37 EDT 2004

Todd Ruskell writes:

> OK, msua1 is listed there.  So then the questions of implementation:
>
> Does this mean that some of our students, when going to
> loncapa.mines.edu to log in, might actually get re-directed
> to msua1 if the loads are high enough?

Yes, it does.

> Is this load-sharing as seamless as the multi access-server setup
> in a single domain?  Will the url address bar then show an msu machine?

Yes, it will show s1.lite.msu.edu.  The domain colors & logos set for your
school will be shown to the student as they are logged in under that domain.
Aside from the address bar there will be no visual indication the student is
logged in to an MSU machine.

> Does it work at all if you are trying to log into a library server
> rather than an access server, which is the case here at CSM?

No.  No offloading of users happens if the machine the student is attempting
to log in to is a library server.  It only happens if the student is
attempting to log in to an access server.

> At what load value does it kick in?  The same one that was set
> upon install, and that is stored in /etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf?

It is based on the values for lonLoadLim & lonUserLoadLim in loncapa.conf.
If your access server exceeds either of those limits AND the offload target
server is not itself overloaded, the student will be sent to the offload
target server.

> Thanks for all your help and understanding.  These lists are busy today!

It's not a problem at all!  It means when I forget all this information I
can just go to the mailing list archive and look it up :)

Matthew

Matthew Hall           hallmat3 at msu.edu
LON-CAPA developer
Michigan State University