[LON-CAPA-admin] no SPRS, CHRT, or STAT?

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Tue Oct 26 15:12:59 EDT 2004

> Thanks Guy,
>
> As I was writing the message, I slowly began to wonder about that setting.
>
> As a followup, based on your experiences, at what consistent load averages
> should I start to think about adding the two library servers?

I'd think about adding access servers first.

Get those student accesses off of the machine that the instructors are
on.

That's what access machines are for, spreading the user load out.

At MSU, with ~800 simultaneuos logins distributed across 7 access
servers we are not seeing load on the library server get much over 1.

Also as access servers are stupid, you don't need to worry about
backing them up, or make them quality hardware, one them goes down,
throw it out and stick a new one in.

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-