[LON-CAPA-admin] Max "simultaneous" logins?

Todd Ruskell truskell at mines.edu
Thu Feb 26 22:42:14 EST 2004

Hi,

Are there any benchmarks regarding how many "simultaneous" logins a
server should be able to deal with?  We've got a class where essentially
3 rounds of 30 students each log in to loncapa and do the same quick
problem or two, all within about 10 minutes.  The instructor reports
that during this time several students are able to log in, but when they
choose the course, they receive a "unable to load course map, please try
again later" message.  We have a single library server with dual 3GHz
Xeons and 4GB ram. I've tried poking in the logs, but unfortunately many
of them don't seem to have timestamps, so I am having difficulty with
direct correlations.

Any suggestions of things to look for or try?

Thanks,

Todd

--
Dr. Todd Ruskell
Lecturer, Department of Physics		Office: Meyer Hall 326