[LON-CAPA-admin] fedora installation problems

Nathan Schoenack nathan.schoenack at ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Feb 12 17:09:50 EST 2004

Hello,

Thanks for the help with my Red Hat 7.3 problems...I took Guy's advice and
moved to the Fedora install.

I went to http://download.fedora.redhat.com/ in order to obtain my
bootdisk.img and netdrv.img.
The exact location of these files is
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/images/

I booted from the bootdisk and started up the installer (it clearly states
Fedora Core 1).  I chose my language, keyboard type.  Then my installation
method--HTTP.  Then I'm asked for the driver disk for my NIC.  That seems to
work just fine (woo-hoo!); I continue by using DHCP...  Then I'm asked for
the Web site name and Red Hat directory...I enter:

download.fedora.redhat.com
pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os

Retrieving Fedora/base/stage2.img... (Patiently waiting)...Then I get this
error message:
"The Fedora Core installation tree in that directory does not seem to match
your boot media."  This machine had no file system on it prior to
installation.

I made the bootdisk and netdrv disk on a Debian (woody) machine with "mk2efs
/dev/fd0; dd if=bootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 conv=sync; sync" commands.

Can anyone help?  Am I making the disks in the wrong fashion?  Am I using
the wrong .img files from the wrong download sites?

Nathan

Nathan Schoenack
Lab Technician
Physics Department