[LON-CAPA-admin] logs for unsuccessful logins

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Wed Feb 4 19:37:13 EST 2004

Hi Ray,

> > > Q2. If a user does not exist, is there a log showing the user attempts to
> > > login?
> >
> > User $uname at $udom could not be authenticated
> >

> Actually Guy, this is a very useful question and answer.
> However, when I located such an entry in my lonnet.log file for one of the
> servers I found the above type of log entry occured for a user that did, in
> fact, exist on the system AND had an active role at the time.

Okay this error can also occur if the connection was down at the time
in question.

To try and differentiate I have modified the auth code for 1.2

Now is will log
User $uname at $udom rejected by $uhome

For incorrect passwords

For unknown user names:
User $uname at $udom is unknown in authenticate

And
User $uname at $udom threw error $answer when checking authentication

Whenever is gets something unexpected.
--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-5-0-