[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: FC3 and 1.2.99 install

Matthew Brian Hall hallmat3 at msu.edu
Wed Dec 8 15:42:46 EST 2004

Hi Mark,

> We're bumping one of our development machines to FC3 and LC 1.2.99.

Our FC3 install instructions aren't quite ready for prime time (I had wanted
to test the system a bit more and assure myself I have all the kinks worked
out.

> In doing so, we got warnings about several packages:

Most of these warnings are spurious and I've a bug report filed against me
about them that I'll take care of shortly.

> **** WARNING: gnuplot- does not appear to be installed.
> **** WARNING: perl-Time-HiRes-1.59 does not appear to be installed.
> **** WARNING: ImageMagick-5 does not appear to be installed.
> **** WARNING: perl-Math-FFT does not appear to be installed.
> **** WARNING: perl-Net-SNPP does not appear to be installed.
> **** WARNING: openssl-devel does not appear to be installed.
>
> Gnuplot and openssl-devel were easily fixed.

Maybe not.  The gnuplot included with FC3 (and in the default yum
repositories) is not compiled with the gd libraries and so you'll just get
broken images instead of dynamic plots if you use it.

> There is already ImageMagick-6 on the system. Do we need to go back to -5?

No.

> Time-HiRes-1.55 is installed.

Yes, the newer CPAN version was packaged up for FC2 for various reasons.
This is not an issue and you don't need to worry about it.

> Where can we find perl-Math-FFT and perl-Net-SNPP?

They are actually not needed.

> What is the functional difference between FC3_loncapa_yum.conf and
> loncapa_yum.conf?

FC3 uses a new version of yum.  The default FC3 yum.conf contains
"obsoletes=1", which causes yum to die when an older package is installed
and the newer package is listed as a conflict.  In our case, httpd obsoletes
apache, but httpd conflicts with LONCAPA_prerequisites.  So we have to
change obsoletes to 0 in order for "yum update" to do anything other than
die.  Since I haven't bothered to gpg sign our rpms, there is the setting
gpgcheck=0 for our repositories as well.

Install the FC3_loncapa_yum.conf as /etc/yum.conf and execute:

yum clean all
yum update

should get you running.  Let me know (on the list or directly) if you run
into trouble.

Any comments on the installation process would be well received :)

Matthew

Matthew Hall           hallmat3 at msu.edu
LON-CAPA developer
Michigan State University