[LON-CAPA-admin] mysql and update

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Sat Aug 21 19:41:48 EDT 2004

Hi Ray,

> I've just updated our servers here but have NOT restarted mysqld.
>
> How would I know if I needed to restart that?

By knowing that all we are doing is modifying the mysql config file to
change the autotimeout to be longer than the 8 hour default.

And to know whether or not you have already applied this change to the
config file and restarted since then.

If you hadn't then you need to.

Obviously this message is less then useful and needs to get changed.

Restarting MySQL is a safe action, and thus you should just do it and
then restart loncontrol/httpd

Probably best set of commands is:

/etc/init.d/mysql stop
(after it finishes wait a few minutes)
/etc/init.d/mysql start
(after it finishes wait a few minutes)
/etc/init.d/mysql status

Should say it is running, if it doesn't retry the start, and then
status again.

If it still isn't running cry out in despair, beat the machine
senseless and go into basketweaving.

> > Now mysqld is running again. I stop loncontrol (lonsql was not running).
> > I start loncontrol and all is happy.
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing this? (I'm running RH7.3 still) Has this already
> > been noted in bug reports?

Nope hadn't seen this.

But I am getting more and more disenchanted with RH7.3

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-9-