[LON-CAPA-admin] Two copies of LON status/rpm upgrade reports

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Thu Sep 18 13:18:04 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:16:46PM -0400, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> > I have been getting two copies of status/rpm upgrade reports each morning
> > from each server every since 1.0 upgrade or thereabout. How can remove one
> > of the copies?
>
> Things to check,
>
> Are there two cron jobs being run?
>
> (Look in /etc/cron.d)
>
> What email address are they being sent too? Maybe you have yourself in
> the Admin list twice?

I am getting two emails for each server as well. My suspicion is that
this is a bug in CHECKRPMS (not check-rpms :-): it sends email to
lonAdmEMail (see the line my $emailto = "$perlvar{'lonAdmEMail'}";)
without checking whether the MAILTO variable is set in
/etc/crontab. Since cron sends email to whoever is specified in
the MAILTO variable, CHECKRPMS happily sends mail to lonAdmEMail as well.
If your email address appears in the MAILTO line (as it should if you
are a responsible sysadmin :-), and your email also appears in
lonAdmEMail, then (that's at least my suspicion) you get two emails.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Siegert