[LON-CAPA-admin] Dynamic Plots on Debian

Todd Ruskell truskell at MINES.EDU
Wed Jun 25 23:23:02 EDT 2003

Matt,

I'd love to send the error messages to you, but unfortunately, I no longer
get any gnuplot error messages in /var/log/apache/error_log. I see the
errors
generated by gnuplot complaining about the "gif" terminal from before I
made the changes, but they have now disappeared.  I probably need to bump
up the logging verbosity, but I'm new to this type of sysadmin.  How do I
do it?

I just logged into the server from home and tried to view a dynamically
generated plot that did not appear, and did actually get an error log
entry, but just one:

[Wed Jun 25 21:09:53 2003] [error] access to /home/httpd/html/adm/roles
failed for 138.67.58.184, reason: Cookie truskell_1055820329_csmTodd_toddl
not valid

Using Guy's directions below, gnuplot is compiled with gif supoprt.  I
checked it myself with a basic plot:
set term gif
set output "test.gif"
plot sin(x)
show output

I get a gif that both mozilla and xv have no trouble viewing.

How's that for a puzzler?

Hope your server shuffle goes well the next two days.

Todd