[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: Changing student ids

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Sat Dec 20 14:18:58 EST 2003

Hi Todd,

At the Domain Level, the "CUSR" function allows the Domain Coordinator to
modify a user's last name, first name, middle name and generation and also
to add or expire roles.  Support for changing a studentID via "CUSR" is not
supported in either v.1.0.2 or v.1.0.99.

A studentID can be changed within the context of a course, however, by
selecting the "Course Coordinator" role and using "ENRL" -> Modify student
data, and then clicking on the username.  As this procedure would need to be
carried out for one student at a time, you will want to use a different
method for the 400 students with accounts in your domain.

There does not appear to be a way presently via the DC web interface to
obtain a listing of everyone with user accounts in your domain. Probably the
simplest thing to do would be to access each of the courses in your domain,
as a course coordinator, and use "ENRL" -> "View Class List" and choose "any
enrollment status", and click on the "CSV format" link to display a comma
separated list of students. You could then save this to your workstation
filesystem, and either write a custom script to modify studentIDs in the CSV
files, or import into Excel, and modify the studentIDs in the worksheets.
Next you would upload the modified CSV files using "ENRL" -> "Upload a class
list" into either the original LON-CAPA courses, or into a single newly
created LON-CAPA course.

One disadvantage of uploading into the original courses is that the start
and end dates for all students would be set to the same value (whatever
choice was included in the start and end date settings in the "Upload a
class list screen") in each class (effectively overwriting any current
choices).  You must also make sure that the "Disable ID/Student Number
Safeguard and Force Change of Conflicting IDs (only do if you know what you
are doing)" checkbox is checked, for the changed studentIDs to take affect.
Another disadvantage is that you would need to carry out the "Upload a
classlist" task in each course.

If, instead, you create a "temporary" course, you could concatenate the
class lists from all the courses in a single CSV file.  Once again you would
need to ensure that the "Disable ID/Student Number Safeguard and Force
Change of Conflicting IDs (only do if you know what you are doing)" checkbox
is checked for the changed student IDs to take effect when uploading the
cumulative class list file into the single "temporary" course.  You would
want to set the end date for the students to be the same as the start date,
so that the student role in the "temporary course" would never really be
accessible to the students.  One impact of this second method is that
students will have different studentIDs when class lists are displayed for
their existing courses (where they were enrolled using the old studentID
system) versus the class lists displayed for any future courses.  This
discrepancy comes about because updating a class list with the "Disable
ID/Student Number Safeguard and Force Change of Conflicting IDs" checkbox
checked causes the following:

(a) update of the studentID to the new value in the user's environment.db
file in the user's directory in lonUsers, e.g.,  for user smith, in
lonUsers/domain/s/m/i/smith
(b) update of the studentID in the classlist.db file in the course to which
you are uploading a class list file but NOT in the classlist.db files for
any OTHER courses in which the student is (or was) enrolled.

This behavior, suggests that you have one other course of action, if
persistence of old-style studentIDs in class lists for existing courses is
not an issue.  You could simply leave the student IDs defined in the users'
environment.db files to remain as they are now, but when adding new class
lists via ENRL -> "Upload a class list", use the new style student IDs in
the class list files.  The act of upload would cause the user's student ID
to switch from the old to the new.

If you intend to create a custom localenroll.pm file to support automated
enrollment in your domain (to be available in v. 1.1), you will want to
update the studentIDs in the users' environment.db files (e.g., by using the
"temporary" course method outlined above), because automated enrollment is
not carried out for any students with mismatched studentIDs (Although the
process will log a message about inconsistency in studentIDs, if it
encounters a mismatch between the studentID provided from your institutional
data and the studentID in the system).

Stuart

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group
Division of Science & Math Education,
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI USA