[LON-CAPA-admin] notes on backing up and restoring

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Thu Nov 14 12:51:24 EST 2002

Hi,

>    large-yet-small files.  For instance, perhaps we generate
>    multiple archive files which are <750Mb; these multiple archive
>    files simple contain mutually exclusive sets of different files
>    related to the same backup attempt.

cpio seems to not have good support for this.

tar can do this:

tar c -v -M -L 700000 -f test.tar -F ~/unique.tar.pl .

unique.tar.pl:
#!/usr/bin/perl
$i=0;
while() {
   $i++;
   if (!(-e "test.$i.tar")) {
      `mv test.tar test.$i.tar`;
      last;
   }
}

And dump has
 -M      Enable the multi-volume feature. The name specified with -f is
         treated as a prefix and dump writes in sequence to <prefix>001,
         <prefix>002 etc. This can be useful when dumping to files on an
         ext2 partition, in order to bypass the 2GB file size limitation.

--
guy at albertelli.com          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
Guy Albertelli -7-7-7-  O-