[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: [LON-CAPA-dev] Fwd: [suse-security-announce] OpenSSH Vulnerability

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Tue Jun 25 15:14:30 EDT 2002

Hi,

currently not many details are known about this vulnerability.
No patches are available.
However, the severity is known: remote root exploit.

Also, as mentioned in SuSE's advisory openssh-3.3p1 does not
fix the bug. It just minimizes its effects. I am not sure what that means:
under the new version the "master" sshd daemon spawns a child that runs
under the uid of the user. Does that mean that instead of a remote
rott exploit the effect is now a remote exploit with the priviledges of
one of the users (not as bad, but still bad enough)?
In any case you must upgrade now to openssh-3.3p1 to avoid the remote
root exploit, and probably a few weeks later again to fix the bug.

The big problem is RedHat 6.2:
openssh-3.3p1 requires openssl-0.9.6 or later. RedHat 6.2 uses
openssl-0.9.5a. The only option I see right now is to upgrade openssl
(e.g., by recompiling a RedHat 7.x src rpm). However, openssl is used
by apache and others. Has anybody tried to run apache under RedHat 6.2
with openssl-0.9.6 or later? Does it break everything? Is there somewhere
a development/test LON-CAPA box running RH6.2 where this could be tested?

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6