[LON-CAPA-admin] Course not re-initializing

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Oct 12 03:34:42 EDT 2011

Hi,

> A user ran into a problem editing his course. He was not able to
> reinitialize the course from within LON-CAPA on his server.
>

> I seem to remember this happening to others. Does anyone know what causes
> it?

The cause of this 2.9 issue was usually an unreadable "temporary"
session file in /home/httpd/perl/tmp (e.g., $uname_$dom_$cid.db, where
$uname is username, $dom is domain, and $cnum is the LON-CAPA internal
course "number").

This issue is fixed in lonuserstate.pm rev 1.137, which is included in 2.10.0.

A solution on a 2.9 server was to delete the particular user's session
files in /home/httpd/perl/tmp

$uname_$dom_$cid.db
$uname_$dom_$cid_params.db
$uname_$dom_$cid_symb.db
$uname_$dom_$cid.state

and then re-select the course from the roles screen.

I have not heard any reports of a recurrence of this behavior in 2.10,
following the lonuserstate.pm 1.137 change.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group