[LON-CAPA-admin] self enrollmen > main category

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Dec 19 11:07:27 EST 2008

Peter,

Assignment of one or more categories to a course can be either
something a Domain Coordinator (DC) must do, or can be something a
Course Coordinator (CC) is permitted to do.  Which of these is the
case depends on how your domain has been configured. (As DC use "Set
Domain Configuration" -> "Cataloging of courses" to view/modify this
configuration).

If DC is the role which will catalog courses, then select the DC role
and proceed as follows:

1. Main Menu: select "View or modify a course"
2. Search for the course
3. Check the radio button for "View or modify course settings which
only a Domain Coordinator may modify."
4. Click the "Select" button for the course
5. Follow the "Modify course catalog settings for course" link

If the CC is permitted to catalog a course then select the CC role for
the course and proceed as follows:

1. Main Menu: select: "Modify parameter settings (due dates, etc) for
resources and the course"
2. Follow the "Set Course Environment" link
3. Use the "Categorize course" item (sixth row) - follow the " Display
Categories" link.
4. In the pop-up check the approriate categories, click "Copy to main window"
5. In the main window click "Save".

For more information see:
http://msu.loncapa.org/adm/help/Domain_Configuration_Cataloging_Courses.hlp

LON-CAPA also provides a mechanism for self-cataloging of courses
based on institutional code which will catalog the course using a
hierarchy up to four levels deep (at MSU we use: Year, Semester,
Department, Coursenumber).  In order to use this the
&instcode_defaults() and &instcode_format() routines in localenroll.pm
need to be customized for your domain (For more information see:
http://msu.loncapa.org/adm/help/Institutional_Integration_Course_Codes.hlp).
Once this has been set up, courses will be catloged automatically once
they receive an institutional coursecode (et by the Domain Coordinator).

Both types of catlaoging (category-based and self-cataloging) can
co-exist for courses in a domain, and both can be used when browsing
for courses from the Course Catalog screen.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group