[LON-CAPA-admin] Server migration

Peter Riegler p.riegler at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Wed Jan 10 14:26:52 EST 2007

Hi Guy and Stefan,

following your discussion I think one issue seems to be clarified:

polya will be degraded to being a development machine, i.e. will
continue to exist at the same place, preferably with IP and DNS unchanged.

The new machine will serve as THE access server for the complete
university. Physically it will reside within the rooms of our computer
ressources department (There are pros and cons to that ... and there are
political boundary conditions ...).

 From my limited perspective all boils down to what will happen with the
resources published on polya so far.

Case 1: Resources published so far are not used by anyone outside
Wolfenbuettel
Will it be sufficient
o to assign loncapa-domain "fhwf" (the one polya currently has) to the
new server
o and to configure polya to be a standalone server with a different
loncapa-domain, after the migration has been successfully finished?
I guess it depends on how /res/fhwf/riegler/... is mapped internally to
the IP-address of the server.

Case 2: Resources published so far are used by someone outside Wolfenbuettel
Not sure about that one.

Happy new year, by the way

Peter

--
Peter Riegler
Fachhochschule Braunschweig/Wolfenbüttel
email: p.riegler at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
http://public.rz.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/~riegler