[LON-CAPA-admin] Server migration

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Wed Jan 10 12:49:29 EST 2007

Hi there,

Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> Let me know if anything need more clarification.

Thanks for your help so far.

> [...]

The procedure you describe seems managable for us:
(in short)
- Prepare new server (install, configure and test OS and LON-CAPA)
- Transfer data from old to new server
- Shut down/Disconnect old server
- Activate new server

One question left concerning the hostname, DNS name and IP address:

> * change the hostname on the new machine to the same DNS name as the old
> * either
>    - switch the IP address of the new box to be the same as the old
>      (I highly suggest this one. On Fedora you can easily change both
>       the IP and the hostname using the xwindows application
>       system-config-network )
>    or
>    - switch the DNS entry
> * run the loncapa UPDATE prcoedure, configure it to be in the
>   production cluster and give it the settings you had on the old box
> * reboot the new box

The old server should not be seen again in the LON-CAPA cluster, but the
new one. The new server needs to have a new DNS name AND a new IP address.

Is this possible?

Stefan