[LON-CAPA-users] Additional units?

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
08 Sep 2003 14:36:56 -0600

In modern physics, it is often nice to have answers in units of MeV/c,
and the like.  "c" itself is a problem, because it is defined as the
10^-2 multiplier, but I could imagine something like MeV/ls, where "ls"
means "the speed of light."  As a temporary fix, we have told students
to enter answers in units of MeV/c, but without actually entering the
units.

If we so chose, is it possible to define a new unit?  It seems that this
*could* be done by editing capa.units, but I see a couple of problems.
(1) the problem would then have to be published local-only, because not
everyone would have the unit defined. (2) the capa.units file could get
overwritten when updating to a new release(?)

Are there other issues I haven't thought of?  What are other people's
thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Todd