[LON-CAPA-users] Remote or not after login?

Michael T Hamlin lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:56:37 -0400 (EDT)

> > What about all the OTHER pop-ups (help windows, resource browser,
> > script vars, etc)?
> > If these are blocked is the server software equally as resilient
> > (or at least trying to be)?  I haven't tested it, just curious.
>
> Nope.
>
> These are popups in response to a user action (clicking on a link) I
> know of no software that disables this style of popup window.
>
> I would be very curious to hear of any that does.
>
> (All of my testing is done with the pop-up blocking tech in mozilla.)

Well, a window being opened in response to a user click (perhaps
through java or javascript?) may not be considered a TRUE pop-up, but
many pop-up blockers will refuse to allow new windows to open at all,
or at least, have the option to prevent that.

I use iCab at home, and that browser has a feature to prevent javascript
from doing certain functions, included among them is "open new windows".
I think that feature would prevent both "true" pop-ups and all other
ones to which I was referring.

Mary Winter reports using Pop-up Stopper on one Windows machine and
AdSubtract on another Windows machine, both in conjunction with IE.
She is having the same headache I described in #1975 on both machines,
having no remote and no navigation on-page.  The only solution is to
quit IE entirely and start over.

michael