[LON-CAPA-users] LON-CAPA downtime

Matthew Brian Hall lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:25:42 -0400 (EDT)

Maintenance Downtime

The LITE lab will be experiencing downtime beginning at noon on Thursday,
June 26th.  Every computer in the LITE lab, including mail servers and
all LON-CAPA servers will be down.  Additionally, our routers will be down
as well.  All the machines will be online again as soon as possible.  Some
may come online as late as Friday afternoon.

We will try to minimize the downtime to the mail servers.

We are installing 5 new machines, 3 of which will be upgrades to our
LON-CAPA servers.  The other two are a Mac video server and associated RAID
array.  Additionally, we have a new UPS to install as well.  Installing this
equipment will require an almost complete tear down of our existing server
racks, which is the reason for the length of the downtime.

The benefits will be faster access to LON-CAPA for students and faculty,
the video server will be online, and increased redundancy in our power supply.
With the new servers installed we will be able to move our other services
(most notably CAPA support) to machines in our main server array.  This will
allow for easier monitoring and support.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or concerns regarding this
downtime.

Matthew

Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         hallmat3@msu.edu
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University