[LON-CAPA-users] set maxtries in problem

Ray Batchelor lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 13:52:05 -0700

Hi Guy,

> Can you double check that the working one has the <responseparam> not
> inside the <optionresponse> and that the non-working has it inside?
>

> > I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the
> > publication step (I just posted an addition to bug report 1356 about
> > what is happening).

The one that works is
/res/sfu/batchelo/chem121/problems/lecture/set7/periodic.props.problem
in the course Chem120-121 Lecture 2003-2 : sfu

It contains many instances of the option response blocks as below:

<part id="11">
<randomlist show="1">
<optionresponse max="1" id="12" randomize="yes">
    <foilgroup options="('Li','Na','K','Rb','Cs')">
<foil location="random" value="$IE1" name="1st IE Group 1">
<startouttext />Which of the listed alkali metals (Li, Na, K, Rb, or Cs') has
$hilo1 1st ionization energy?
<endouttext />
</foil>
    </foilgroup>
    <responseparam description="allowed tries" default="3" type="integer"
name="maxtries" />
</optionresponse>
.
.
.
</randomlist>
</part>
spread over 5 parts, however because of PARM issues, I am not actually using
the  hard-coded maxtries, (see bug 1444 and quiver some more) but they ARE
set in PARM.

The one that doe NOT work (let me just check my postulate that there is a not
delay in all metadata getting updated...   Nope, it still does not work)  is:
/res/sfu/batchelo/testing/20032tests/testmaxtries.problem
in the course 20032tests : sfu

it contains simply:

<problem><startouttext />Type Question Here.<endouttext />
<optionresponse max="1" id="11" randomize="yes">
    <foilgroup options="('True','False')">
<foil location="random" value="True" name="Foil1">
<startouttext />This is foil One. It is currently set to "True."<endouttext />
</foil>
<foil location="random" value="False" name="Foil2">
<startouttext />This is foil Two. It is currently set to "False."<endouttext
/>
</foil>

    </foilgroup>
<responseparam description="maximum tries" default="3" type="integer"
name="maxtries" />
</optionresponse>
</problem>

> Can you double check that bug #, 1356 seems to have nothing to do with
> this issue.

Well I did mention this in that bug, but I agree it is not on topic, it is
just that one thing led to the other.  Also it was late friday and I was
tired and sick (still am -- note that this is different from being "sick-and
tired" which I am not) and so no longer trusted my judgement.
So I decided that creating a new bug at that time would not be productive.

Go wild and then tell me what I missed.  Not doubt it was something obvious.

You want any roles?  Personally I'm restricting my carbohydrate intake at this
time.

Cheers,
Ray