[LON-CAPA-users] Hej, we're the number two!

lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 01 May 2003 15:19:01 -0400

LON-CAPA was the only one in the top three for both Scalability and
Development Flexibility and Pedagogical flexibility.  I say this is great
news.  I have offered to present to College of Engineering faculty this
summer.  I think the time is right - especially as many faculty will have
to switch from blackboard to something else.

Susan

At 03:02 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, Gerd Kortemeyer wrote:
>After a rather gloomy and very depressing day struggling with unhappy and
>complaining users - Jeremy found this:
>
>http://www.xplana.com/whitepapers/archives/Open_Source_Courseware
>
>Guy translated some of the codes:
>

>>Scalability    - 5
>>Openness       - 5
>>Administration - 4
>>Implementation - 3
>>Functionality  - 4
>>Effectiveness  - 3
>
>A 4 was the highest they gave for functionality (tied with ATutor), and a
>24 overall score was the highest total score they gave (tied with CHEF).
>
>The following is probably very fair:
>
>"LON-CAPA is long on functionality and support for extended character sets
>and computation, but it's a bit short on user friendliness."
>
>The review goes on:
>
>"It is a robust system built for enterprise scalability and handles
>clustering well. This system is highly recommended as one of the most
>promising candidates for providing traditional course management
>functionality for large institutions. LON-CAPA is an active participant in
>the standards movement and provides strong documentation and development
>support."
>
>Now let's get the @$%# bugs out of the system ... release 1.0 is coming
>dangerously close.

Susan J. Masten, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824

Office: 132A Research Complex-Engineering
Phone: 517 353-8539
FAX: 517 355-0250
Email: masten@msu.edu
Webpage: www.egr.msu.edu/~masten