[LON-CAPA-users] RPM update

Martin Siegert lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:00:41 -0700

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 09:24:51PM -0700, Lars Jensen wrote:

> I think I'm beginning to find out how to do the update:
>
> Here's what seems to work, using the check-rpms.conf configuration
> file I do follow these steps:
>
> 1) As user jensen:
> 	check-rpms -v -dl
>    This downloads the needed files to /var/tmp/rpms

This is the correct way to start the upgrade process (you may want to
add the -r flag, but most of the time this is not necessary).

One thing to check first, however: you must have write permissions for
the download directory (here: /var/tmp/rpms) and the directory must not
already contain rpm packages that you cannot overwrite (because, e.g., they
are owned by root). check-rpms is very picky about this: that way the danger
of installing troyaned rpm packages is minimized.

> 2) As root go to /var/tmp/rpms and run:
> 	rpm -Fvh *

This is dangerous: if there are kernel packages (kernel, kernel-smp, or
kernel-enterprise) within the packages that were downloaded, that kernel
gets installed with -Fvh flages, i.e., overwriting the old kernel (and
leaving you with no way out, if something goes wrong, e.g., the system
crashes or gets rebooted before you modify /etc/lilo.conf). A new kernel
should always be installed using the -ivh flags to the rpm command.

Therefore, the recommended way of doing the second step is (as root):

check-rpms -v --update -noftp

this will skip the kernel upgrade altogether - check-rpms refuses to do
kernel upgrades. That should always be done by hand.

Cheers,
Martin