[LON-CAPA-users] RPM update

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 21:03:16 -0700 (PDT)

Martin,

Excuse my ignorance about updating a RedHat system - I'm used to
debian (which is much easier). I did the
check-rpms -v -r --update -ftp rufus.w3.org/linux/redhat/updates/6.2/en/os
and it seems that what this command did was to copy all the rpm's that
needs updating to the directory /mnt/redhat/RedHat/RPMS - it did not
actually do the update, did it? was it supposed to? If not, is this what
I need to do (as root):

cd /mnt/redhat/RedHat/RPMS
rpm -hUv *

If not, what should I do next to accomplish the update?

Regarding error messages from the check-rpms -v -r --update -ftp, this
is what I got - the main messags seems to be that there are two newer
versions available of the libpcap, ncftpget, and tcpdump packages.
Should I erase the older one from /mnt/redhat/RedHat/RPMS ?

Thanks again,
Lars.

The ftp server provides multiple versions of the libpcap package.
Downloading libpcap-0.6.2-10.6x.i386.rpm and
libpcap-0.6.2-11.6.2.0.i386.rpm in order to find out which is newer.
/mnt/redhat/RedHat/RPMS/libpcap-0.6.2-10.6x.i386.rpm:  287.28 kB   27.98
kB/s
ncftpget: file retrieval error: local file appears to be the same as the
remote file, no transfer necessary.
** ncftpget failed with status 3.
** The server provides two versions of the same package:
** libpcap-0.6.2-10.6x.i386.rpm and libpcap-0.6.2-11.6.2.0.i386.rpm.
** It appears that libpcap-0.6.2-11.6.2.0.i386.rpm is newer.
The ftp server provides multiple versions of the tcpdump package.
Downloading tcpdump-3.6.2-10.6x.i386.rpm and
tcpdump-3.6.2-11.6.2.0.i386.rpm in order to find out which is newer.
/mnt/redhat/RedHat/RPMS/tcpdump-3.6.2-10.6x.i386.rpm:  253.80 kB   12.63
kB/s
ncftpget: file retrieval error: local file appears to be the same as the
remote file, no transfer necessary.
** ncftpget failed with status 3.
** The server provides two versions of the same package:
** tcpdump-3.6.2-10.6x.i386.rpm and tcpdump-3.6.2-11.6.2.0.i386.rpm.
** It appears that tcpdump-3.6.2-11.6.2.0.i386.rpm is newer.
Multiple versions of the same package were found on the server.
However, due to ftp download problems it could not be verified
which of the packages are the most recent ones.
If the choices specified above appear to be correct, rerun check-rpms
without the -lq (or --list-questionable) option. Otherwise, fix the
download
problems or install those packages separately first.

Lars.