[LON-CAPA-users] RPM update

Scott Harrison lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 14:53:33 -0400

Dear Dr. Jensen:

> Thanks for the detailed explanations. One question I have before I do an
> check-rpms -v -r --update -ftp : What ftp server should I use for the
> packages? I am only aware of the

I would recommend:
mirror.pa.msu.edu/linux/redhat/linux/updates/6.2/en/os
or
rufus.w3.org/linux/redhat/updates/6.2/en/os

A complete list of RPM mirrors is at http://www.redhat.com/mirrors.html

> http://install.lon-capa.org/3.1/latestRPMS/ link. No link is listed on
> the web site for downloading rpms.

I will try and improve this.

> Another question is whether I should do the kernel update considering that an
> 6.2-to-7.3 CDROM  upgrade apparently is going to be available. This
> would presumably update the kernel to version 2.4 anyway, wouldn't it?

You should always upgrade your kernel for security's sake.

Also, you will likely need to upgrade your kernel in the future,
so this could be practice.

Regards,
Scott

--