[LON-CAPA-users] How to generate a new version of homework problem for a particular student

Susan Masten masten at egr.msu.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:44:25 EDT 2021

Itay,

Alternatively, in the "makeup folder" set the weight to 0.0001 (or
something like that), except for the student who is doing the make up.
Then set the weight for that student to 0.0001 in the original folder.
Then you don't have to remember. This also works for "extra credit"
assignments and still allows students to see their grade in the
gradebook on LON-CAPA.

Happy almost November (which means we're more than half-way through the
semester)!

Susan

On 10/25/2021 3:33 PM, Lucas, Mark via LON-CAPA-users wrote:
> Itay,
>
> If you make a copy of the folder containing the assignment, that folder
> will have a different randomization for the student. You then hide the folder
> from everyone but that student.
>
> When downloading final scores, the instructor needs to be a bit careful.
> Suppose you have Assignment 9 and Assignment 9B (the makeup). If the instructor
> downloads Assignment 9B in Chart, it will show X possible points for all the students
> even though the resource was hidden. It’s not a big deal, but you do have to be
> aware of the issue.
>
> There may be other ways, but this is our standard.
> The other thing you can do if you have a few minutes is check the student activity to
> see if they ever really looked at the problems. If they haven’t, you can just reopen
> without randomization.
>
> Lastly, we have been known to have them submit written solutions that are then
> hand-graded with credit or partial credit entered by hand.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark
>

>> On Oct 25, 2021, at 3:18 PM, Itay via LON-CAPA-users<lon-capa-users at mail.lon-capa.org>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> We have the following scenario:
>> 1. The due date for one or more problems  has passed.
>>       Answer were published.
>> 2.  Lecturer has decided to grant StudentA additional time for submission.
>>       However, she would like that the problems will be re-randomized for that student (since answer were published).
>>
>> I have a vague recollection that this is possible to do, but no a straight-forward procedure.
>> Is it possible, and how should it be done?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Itay Furman
>> Azrieli College on Engineering Jerusalem

Be well, keep hope, seek justice.
I am vaccinated to protect myself and all of you, especially the
children. I am masked for the same reasons.
Privileged to be working at home.
--
Susan J. Masten, Ph.D., P.E. (she/her/hers)
Professor

Phone: 517 355-2254
Fax: 517 355-0250
-------
Michigan State University occupies the ancestral, traditional, and
contemporary Lands of the Anishinaabeg–Three Fires Confederacy of
Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi peoples. The University resides on land
ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.