[LON-CAPA-users] upgrading from Ubuntu 16, one workaround

Moore, Nathan T nmoore at winona.edu
Wed Dec 22 09:35:47 EST 2021

I finally finished fall grades and have been working on upgrading loncapa.winona.edu, which for years has been running on an Ubuntu Microsoft Azure VM.  The system had been running Ubuntu 16, so I had to run do-release-upgrade twice to get the system up to Ubuntu 20 (first to 18, then to 20).

After the update, I followed the instructions at https://install.lon-capa.org/ubuntu20LTS_install.html

One hiccup - the following step failed in my specific situation
sudo apt-get install loncapa-prerequisites

It looks like the problem was that the Ubuntu upgrade limited the number of package repositories that the installer needed to pull from.  The fix I found was to add extra repository availability with:
sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo add-apt-repository multiverse

Aside from not quickly remembering the MySQL password I set 4 years ago, the rest of the loncapa update/install was really slick!  All of the old configuration settings seem perfectly preserved.

Again, thanks to all for the Lon-Capa community.

Nathan Moore
Physics and General Engineering Programs
Winona State University
Winona MN