[LON-CAPA-users] LON-CAPA Error

Harding, Gene L glhardin at purdue.edu
Thu Nov 5 11:19:52 EST 2020

Hi,

I am getting an error I don't remember seeing before with a formula response problem that takes a Greek letter as part of the formula. The odd thing is that it works fine for me, whether in student or course coordinator mode, but not for the students. I have been able to recreate the error by logging in as a student to a Test course and doing the problem from there. The first time I submitted a response it took 20-30 seconds to process, and gave a timeout error. Subsequent submissions appear to process much faster, and gave an "Unable to understand formula" error. It is set up to take either of two formulas for the answer.

Here are the perl script formula definitions:
$radarRCS  = "+10*log(σ)";
$radarRCS2 = "+10*log10(σ)";

This is the formula response code:
<formularesponse id="14">
    <answergroup type="ordered">
        <answer name="log" type="ordered">
            <value>$radarRCS</value>
        </answer>
        <answer name="log10" type="ordered">
            <value>$radarRCS2</value>
        </answer>
    </answergroup>
    <textline addchars="σ" size="25" />
</formularesponse>

This approach works fine for the two preceding problem parts, but they do not use the "addchars" modifier with a Greek letter.

Has anyone seen this error before and have an idea of what causes it?

Best regards,

Gene L. Harding, PE
Associate Professor of ECET