[LON-CAPA-users] Using symbols for "infinity" in responses

Raeburn, Stuart raeburn at msu.edu
Wed May 27 09:17:39 EDT 2020

Hello Rex,

The LON-CAPA javascript previewer available for forumularresponse items will display Unicode characters for inf and minf in the preview, but the text entered in the "Submit Answer" textbox by the student will be what is submitted by the web form.

(See: the enode.js file in loncom/html/adm/LC_math_editor/src/enode.js in the LON-CAPA source repository -- source.loncapaorg/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ for the mapping to Unicode.

Maxima itself supports: inf, minf, and -inf

formularesponse with a preprocessor routine to convert INF or Inf to all inf in a student's submission before sending to Maxima for evaluation is what I would do in the current LON-CAPA.

> I was just wondering about whether there is (or should be) a "standardized" way to do it.

Internally in LON-CAPA, a routine: maxima_cas_formula_fix() in lonmaxima.pm is used to (a) take care of implicit multiplication, and (b) convert pi to %pi, if pi is present, unless pi happens to be within a variable name (e.g., pie).

If conversion of INF and Inf were to be made "standard" (i.e., without use of an author-defined preprocessor routine) then the likely approach would be to include an appropriate regular expression in maxima_cas_formula_fix().

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium