[LON-CAPA-users] Using symbols for "infinity" in responses

Rex Abert abertr at tcc.fl.edu
Tue May 26 08:33:30 EDT 2020

I am developing some <formularesponse> questions for Calculus I limits
at infinity.  Sometimes the answer is +infinity or -infinity, sometimes
a constant (horizontal asymptote).  If I set the correct response as
"inf" (lowercase), the previewer correctly interprets the symbol as
expected.  A guide published by Purdue suggests that all caps should be
used, "INF."  I had the answer in a question set as "-inf" and a student
entered "-INF" and it was marked incorrect, as Maxima should, because
uppercase and lowercase symbols are different to Maxima.

I guess I am just looking for clarification on a standard way to do this
in LC, given the behavior of the javascript previewer.

--
Rex Abert
Professor of Mathematics

***Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written communications to or from Tallahassee Community College employees regarding College business are public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore, this email communication and your response may be subject to public disclosure.***