[LON-CAPA-users] {Disarmed} Re: LON-CAPA and the push towards online

Christian Ray crray at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 17 16:59:24 EDT 2020

Hey Susan,

I have been using video for a couple of years for an online course, and
have found that it typically works better to save the file to some server,
and then point the students to a link in the server (instead of loading the
file directly to LON CAPA).  You can also use the embed code to have the
video show up in it's own window (this one was beyond me, but someone
showed me how...now that I do it frequently it's not too bad).

Here at Illinois I was using space on an old server that we had lying
around for a while.  More recently I've been using the University host site
(MediaSpace, which is just our version of Kaltura).  Maybe Michigan State
has something similar?  Either way, I think you'll have better luck
pointing the students to the video instead of hosting locally.  I hope that
helps or gets you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck!

Best,

Christian

Christian R. Ray, PhD