[LON-CAPA-users] LON-CAPA and the push towards online

Susan Masten masten at egr.msu.edu
Sun Mar 15 15:44:13 EDT 2020

Hi all,

We officially went online on Wednesday (announced at 10 am to go online
at noon on the same day). Luckily because of my age and underlying
pulmonary issues, I had already gotten permission to go online the
previous Monday. That gave me time to think about how to accomplish the
switch and notify students before they returned to campus after Spring
Break.

The biggest changes for me are:

  * giving lectures via Zoom, which I record and then post on LON-CAPA
    (works then for both those who can/wish to be online during class
    time and those who can't/don't wish to)
  * eliminating exams 2 and 3 and making the homework for the second
    half of the course worth 20% of their grade
  * reducing my expectations on the project and eliminating the
    in-person presentations during the final exam and increasing the
    worth of the project
  * doing participation exercises online through LON-CAPA, but giving
    them more time and making it (at least initially) more supportive
    than anything else.  (This weekend's question was what I can do as
    your instructor or as associate chair for UG studies to help you in
    this challenging time).
  * listing online videos of course-related academic seminars for the
    extra credit assignment. (Colleagues on Twitter have been awesome at
    providing me with links to videos). These replace the on-campus
    seminars.

The students are shell-shocked, so my recommendation is be patient with
them, reduce your expectations - things will not be the same, and just
do what you can't. Don't worry that things will not be perfect. Don't
edit videos (it's a waste of your time).

And remember to take care of yourselves,

All the best,

Susan

--
Susan J. Masten, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor

Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Engineering Building 3505
428 S. Shaw Ln., Room 3546
East Lansing, MI 48824

Phone: 517 355-2254
Fax: 517 355-0250