[LON-CAPA-users] gnuplot problem

Raeburn, Stuart raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Apr 6 15:10:33 EDT 2020

Hello Gene,

If the text: “dynamically generated plot” is displayed instead of an image, when using gnuplot, then it means gnuplot was unable to process the data file generated by LON-CAPA for your plot.

That data file will have been written to /home/httpd/perl/tmp/ on your server's filesystem with a file name that includes your username, and ends _plot.data. and there will also be an error message in the web server's error log file, e.g., /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log, with your problem listed as the referer.  (You'd need to ask your system administrator to look in the log files).

I was able to successfully generate plots for both functions:
$fnct_rms_halfwave="1/$pi * &sqrt(1/2*($pi-x) + 1/4*sin(2*x))";
$fnct_rms_fullwave="&sqrt(2/$pi) * &sqrt(1/2*($pi-x) + 1/4*sin(2*x))";

in a problem in my Authoring Space (gnuplot version: 4.4.2).

You might double check that there is not a typo in the problem XML, where you refer to the function, e.g., <function>$fnct_rms_halfwave</function>

Otherwise, there could be an issue with other attributes defined for the plot, aside from the functions themselves (although in most cases, LON-CAPA replaces invalid values with valid ones, before creating the _plot.data file passed to gnuplot).

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium
I am having trouble generating a gnuplot using the following two functions in LON-CAPA:
   $fnct_rms_halfwave="1/$pi * &sqrt(1/2*($pi-x) + 1/4*sin(2*x))";
   $fnct_rms_fullwave="&sqrt(2/$pi) * &sqrt(1/2*($pi-x) + 1/4*sin(2*x))";

Instead of rendering a plot, LON-CAPA just displays a message that says “dynamically generated plot”. It plots fine in Geogebra. Does anyone know what’s going on with the gnuplot?

Best regards,

Gene L. Harding, PE
Associate Professor of ECET
Purdue University