[LON-CAPA-users] 2 questions

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 30 10:31:14 EDT 2019

Happy Fall -- it seems to be arriving here in Champaign Urbana at least.

I am wondering:

(1) Is there a parameter that can be coded into a problem to refresh variables after x number of attempts? I know this can be done in the content parameters and that that is the preferred Lon-Capa approach, giving instructors greater autonomy over such decisions, but for specific problems in a specific course, the instructors are interested in after, say 3 tries, giving the student the answer to the current version of the problem and presenting a re-randomized version. Which leads to my second question:

(2) If in the scenario above we randomize a problem after x number of tries, is there a way to refer to the previous randomized values so that in addition to the new version the student can be shown something like "The problem you were trying to solve was ... and the correct answer to that problem is ..." ? There are so many possibilities for creative implementations in Lon-Capa I'm pretty sure I can figure out a way of accomplishing this, but thought I'd go ahead and ask first since there are also so many ways of accessing behind-the-scenes information in Lon-Capa.

Thanks all!

Doug

DOUGLAS G MILLS
Director of Instructional Technology

Department of Chemistry

Chemistry Annex Box A2
601 S. Mathews | M/C 712
Urbana, IL 61801
217.244.5739 | fax: 217.244.8029 | dmills at illinois.edu<mailto:dmills at illinois.edu>
chemistry.illinois.edu<http://chemistry.illinois.edu>

[/var/folders/kv/f3wpy1cs51521x5grm_qx4tw0000gn/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/P698ojxP4tc7j8gMqgPv+E4KQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==]<http://illinois.edu/>

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.