[LON-CAPA-users] Formula response won't recognize "pi"

Justin Gray jgray at math.sfu.ca
Thu Nov 21 14:27:43 EST 2019

You can evaluate the answer using Maxima and allow for a tolerance using
mathresponse. In Maxima, the constant pi is written as %pi. Here is a
possible coding for this problem, which will accept either %pi or a
numerical approximation for pi:

<problem>
<script type="loncapa/perl">
$function = "1/sqrt(4*(%pi)^2*L*C)";
$answer=&xmlparse('The correct answer is <m
eval="on">$\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\cdot\pi^{2} \cdot L\cdot C}}$</m>');
</script>

<startouttext />
<endouttext />

<mathresponse answerdisplay="$answer" cas="maxima" args="$function">
    <answer>is(abs((RESPONSE[1])/(LONCAPALIST[1]) - 1) < 0.01);</answer>
    <textline readonly="no" size="100" spellcheck="none" />
</mathresponse>
</problem>

You will probably want to give students some instruction for formatting
their answer.

Best,
Justin

--

*Justin Gray*
Senior Lecturer | Department of Mathematics