[LON-CAPA-users] Changing course coordinator status to a user for a large number of courses

Raeburn, Stuart raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jul 3 04:38:01 EDT 2019

Hello Amos,

> Is there a fast way to select all the desired courses from a list, and then choose the status?

The Domain Coordinator's User Management interface does not currently support assignment of a Course Coordinator role in multiple courses all at once (you have to select them one at a time).

However, in LON-CAPA 2.11.2, as Domain Coordinator, you could:

1. Assign a Domain Helpdesk role to this instructor, via "Create users or modify the roles and privileges of users".

2. Use: "Set domain configuration" > Display ("Support Settings" checked) to define an "ad hoc" helpdesk course role which could receive all privileges usually assigned to a Course Coordinator. When defining that ad hoc role, you can restrict its availability to specific user(s) with a Domain Helpdesk role.

3, After  steps 1 and 2 (above) have been completed, when the instructor next logs in to LON-CAPA the roles screen will contain a "Domain Helpdesk" row featuring a link: "Ad hoc course/community roles in domain -- Select Course/Community".  When the instructor clicks that link it will pop open a window, in which the user can search/select the course in which to acquire a temporary "ad hoc" role.  (This is similar to the ad hoc Course Coordinator role link, available to a Domain Coordinator from the roles screen).

If you were to adopt the approach in 1 and 2 then the specific user would be able to acquire a Course Coordinator role in *any* course in your domain, unless the course owner had explicitly denied it (in each course) via: People > Users >  Helpdesk Access > Role usage (set in a course).

Whether that is more time consuming than assigning a Course Coordinator role one course at a time depends on how many courses there are in your domain for which this user should have CC-like access, and how many there are for which this user should *not* have CC-like access.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium