[LON-CAPA-users] dataresponse

Raeburn, Stuart raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Dec 20 17:29:43 EST 2019

Hello Doug,

> I'm still wondering about the dataresponse functionality in Lon-Capa (see below). Thanks!

The LON-CAPA mailing list archives are searchable using swish (which is linked to on the loncapa.org documentation page; see: loncapa.org/documentation.html ).

This query:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/mailman/swish.cgi?query=dataresponse

currently returns: mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-users/2008-April/003103.html
as the top-ranked result.

In that post, from 2008, the creator of the dataresponse tag included the following statement:

"<dataresponse> is not really functional. I'd avoid it. It was meant to
be used for a pure collection of data that wasn't to be graded. Never
really got completed."

Anyway, in your 11/15 post you wrote ...

> However, whatever is entered into the textfield disappears when the part is submitted.

Looking at the LON-CAPA source (response.pm), I see that submissions from a dataresponse item are only stored if the user has the privilege to manage grades.

<problem>
<script type="loncapa/perl">
$val = &EXT('user.resource.resource.0.11.mills');
if ($val eq '') {
    $val = ' ';
}
</script>
<dataresponse name="mills" id="11" type="int" display="showme">
</dataresponse>
    <startouttext />
Your value is $val
    <endouttext />
</problem>

So, I suppose, the current dataresponse item could be used to populate a problem with static data specified by the instructor.  The "Submit Answer" button (and Tries etc.) would still be shown, for the dataresponse item, so you'd likely want to suppress that using javascript to interact with the DOM.

From the LON-CAPA codebase commit history, I see the initial implementation of the dataresponse tag was in August 2001 (response.pm rev. 1.44) , and initial documentation (homework5.html rev. 1.10) was added in October 2001.  That same documentation was transferred to the file which generates the help document: /adm/help/Authoring_DataResponse.hlp in 2003, which was incorporated into the Authoring Manual for LON-CAPA 1.0 (August 2003).

Given, the incomplete state of dataresponse, that documentation should either be updated, or excluded from future LON-CAPA releases.

Happy Holidays,

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium