[LON-CAPA-users] Linked PDF access after reentering course

Bynum, Lee Hamilton leebynum at illinois.edu
Fri Apr 5 12:43:44 EDT 2019

Hello Everyone,

I am looking into an odd case that I'm hoping for some insight into.

Out of hundreds of students taking an exam we have two instances of access being denied to a linked pdf.  The link eventually worked for both students, within about six minutes for one.  A commonality between the cases is that they appear to have reentered the course just prior to the pdf being unavailable for them.  It is unclear if this is another symptom or the cause.

At least one of the students encountered the following message:

"Access  : Browse resources
Resource : The PDF
Action : Access Denied

Sorry ...
This action is currently not authorized."

I am also seeing access denied messages for the resource/user combination in ssl_error_log

My current theory is that the students somehow reinitialized their role in the course while taking the exam.  This then resulted in them temporarily not having access to the pdf resource.

Potential complications:

-          This course has it's resources' links encrypted.

-          This course is restricting access by ip address using the next version's restricted list.

-          The resource being linked to is in the authoring space rather than the course space.  This doesn't normally cause any trouble, but I'm listing it in case it interacts with something else.

Thank you in advance,

Lee