[LON-CAPA-users] Custom Response Partial Credit

Jacob Bond bond13 at purdue.edu
Fri May 18 19:44:42 EDT 2018

Hi Gene,

You're right that the last return statement shouldn't be there.  Also, there is a subtlety about returning 'INCORRECT' in a partial credit problem.  If a student submits an answer that gets 1/2 credit, then changes it to an answer that gets 0 credit, returning 'INCORRECT' will leave the student with 1/2 credit.  Perhaps this is what you want, but if not,

if ($total_score == 1) {return 'EXACT_ANS';}

else {return ('ASSIGNED_SCORE', $total_score);}

will suffice (if you know $total_score is between 0 and 1, inclusive).  (Also, it's possible that you can forget about the if statement entirely, in case LON-CAPA knows that ('ASSIGNED_SCORE', 1) is the same as 'EXACT_ANS', but I've never bothered testing this.)

As for the real issue, it's tough to say what might be going wrong without seeing the rest of the code, but you might try computing $total_score locally in the answer block and see if that fixes anything.  If you want to check what credit the student has received, this will set $partial_credit to what credit the student has received, or 0 if the student hasn't attempted the problem yet (ID should be replaced by the part ID of the problem part):

$partial_credit = &stored_data('awarded', ID) ? &stored_data('awarded', ID) : 0.0;

Best,

Jacob