[LON-CAPA-users] Plot Response Question

Harding, Gene L glhardin at purdue.edu
Sat May 12 11:08:19 EDT 2018

Hi,

I am trying to code a plot response problem in which the student task is to plot six vectors on a frequency spectrum display. I would like to give 1/6 credit for each vector that is plotted correctly. I am new to using Geogebra in this fashion.

I first tried using the LON-CAPA plot response approach, but was not successful in getting the partial credit assignment to work.

I then moved to the embedded applet approach described in the 2014 online video. I tried to create six problem parts, each graded separately, but Geogebra seems to limit me to one problem part per plot.

Then I tried making everything one problem part with multiple numeric responses, but LON-CAPA seems to want an all-or-nothing answer; no partial credit. I tried computing the total score and "return"ing it in ASSIGNED_SCORE like a custom response problem, but could not get that to work.

Then I tried adding a custom response to the end of the problem part to return ASSIGNED_SCORE, but now the response is always "Some items were not submitted" instead of "Correct" or "...partially correct."

I was trying to avoid using a custom response because the author guide says "this response type is generally discouraged," but have not been able to figure out a way so far.

Do I need to just do a custom response, or is there a way to code this without that approach? Is there a way to have multiple problem parts on a single Geogebra plot?

I think I am really close to getting this problem to work, but cannot quite get all of the pieces to work together nicely. Thank you for any help/advice you can provide.

Best regards,

Gene L. Harding, PE
Associate Professor of ECET
574-520-4190