[LON-CAPA-users] teacher-assigned vs. student-selected slots: can they be mutually exclusive

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 19 15:30:27 EDT 2018

HI All,

I understand the rationale for being able to limit students to selecting only one student-selectable slot within a given timeframe as well as the fact that that is not needed in the case of teacher-assigned slots. However, we have a use case where most of the students are using student-selected slots (and can only choose one of a couple of options) but SOME students -- ones taking conflict exams or who require special accommodations are being assigned into teacher-assigned slots for the same exam.  There does not seem to be any way to prevent a student in a teacher-assigned slot from also selecting a student-selected slot. Am I missing something?  I guess in the case of a timed exam, IF a student who requires special accommodations  or a conflict exam signed up for a regular slot and we didn't catch it and then somehow got a sneak preview before their special slot time, they would have run down their available time to do the exam anyway. Still, it would be nice to be able to prevent such things from occurring as honest or confused mistakes.  Is that possible?  OR would you recommend handling this a different way?  Thanks!

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technology
Department of Chemistry