[LON-CAPA-users] Referencing an aliased resource in the course, outside the present sequence

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Jun 29 12:37:19 EDT 2017

Doug,

Yes, you can pass a mapalias as the second argument to a call to
&EXT() in one problem to retrieve information for the current user
about another problem in the same course.

See:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-users/2012-April/003965.html

for details.

To do this you need to have used the Advanced Editor in Authoring
Space to have assigned a mapalias to the particular resource in a
sequence, and have published the sequence, and then imported the
sequence into the course.  Each mapalias used in a course needs to be
unique.

> Here's a line of my code:
>
> $award=&EXT('user.resource.resource.11.awarded','postlab3');

This would retrieve the current user's awarded value (0 or 1, unless
lenient grading in use for optionresponse or matchresponse) for part
11 of the resource with a mapalias of postlab3 (set in the enclosing
published/imported folder).

In course context, if you display the resource for which the postlab3
mapalias is set, when you can click "Content Settings" in the gray
Functions bar to display parameters set for that item, you should see
postlab3 listed in the second pink column, i.e., Resource Level --
from Enclosing Map or Folder.  This is uneditable in course context.

Notes:

1. Although there is a wrench icon in the "in Course" -- "for
Resource" column for the mapalias parameter, setting a value here has
no effect, and that may be the cause of your problem.

2. If you have set a mapalias "in Course" -- "for Resource" for the
current resource, and included that mapalias for the second argument
in the &EXT() call in the problem, when that &EXT() call is evaluated
during rendering, the unique identifier retrieved based on the
mapalias will be empty, and so the problem will default to retrieving
the awarded value for the current resource.

I have filed a bug (#6853) to disable the ability to set a
course-specific mapalias in the parameter manager. That said, I am
going to enable the ability to set a mapalias in the Course Editor, so
that it will be possible to use aliases for resources without needing
to use imported maps.

See:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-users/2015-December/005020.html

for some context on that.