[LON-CAPA-users] Fail to search on every keyword

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Jan 13 14:11:03 EST 2017

Itay,

> Recently, all the searches for resources that I have committed have
> failed.

Your LON-CAPA library server is currently unable to sustain outbound
connections to a number of other LON-CAPA servers in the network.  (I
tested connectivity for a couple of LON-CAPA nodes -- at both
educog.com and msu.edu).

Inbound connections from other LON-CAPA servers to the dedicated
LON-CAPA port on your server are working, so students from the jce
domain are able to have their sessions hosted on both msu and educog
nodes.

As a workaround you might try your search in a web session hosted on
one of the MSU LON-CAPA servers.

Outbound "LON-CAPA" connections from your server to the dedicated
LON-CAPA port on other nodes don't seem to be working.  I would
recommend asking your server administrator to restart the LON-CAPA
daemons on your server using:

/etc/init.d/loncontrol restart

If that does not resolve the issue, you might ask if your institution
has implemented firewall rules in your network which could block
outbound connections to the dedicated LON-CAPA port on remote servers.

You might also use Main Menu > Browse Resources to see if you can
browse published resources from any domains besides your own.

The IP rules at an OS level for the MSU LON-CAPA library server, and
also at the MSU network border both allow inbound connections from the
IP address of the LON-CAPA library server in the jce domain to the
standard LON-CAPA port.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium