[LON-CAPA-users] /res/fsu

raeburn at msu.edu raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Feb 20 19:44:55 EST 2017

Jim,

The LON-CAPA port on the LON-CAPA library server at fsu is currently
blocked to inbound requests from other nodes in the LON-CAPA network
(including msu and educog), which means that browsing of /res/fsu is
unavailable.

In addition, if fsu content in use in a course has not previously been
replicated to a server hosting a user's session, subscription to the
resource (and replication) will fail, and the user will not be able to
access the content.

This may be an instance of an institution making a change to firewall
settings for their network border, which results in blocking inbound
requests to the standard LON-CAPA port.  If that is the case IT
Services at Florida State would need to agree to grant an exception
to allow access to the standard LON-CAPA port from other LON-CAPA nodes.

The other possibility is that iptables was restarted on the server,
and neither /home/httpd/perl/loncron has been run (as user www) nor
loncontrol has been restarted.  In that case iptables settings on the
server's OS would be the reason why access to the standard LON-CAPA
port is being blocked from remote LON-CAPA nodes.

However, this second possibility seems less likely, as it would also
have blocked communication between LON-CAPA access servers at fsu and
the library server, which would have immediately impacted LON-CAPA
users at Florida State.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium